Green IT stands for Green information Technology. Using the green IT we can save our environment. It contains two things:
- Minimize the negative impact of information technology on the environment.
- Use the information technology to help solve environmental issues.
As we can see that technology in our lives help us to everything to in almost all fields. We know one thing that any inventions have advantage and disadvantage the same thing the technology you using to reduce your time and want accuracy in your work, it is enhancing the global warming. These technologies are made of chemicals, heavy metals and synthetic materials. When these items are destroyed it makes lot of pollution and effect on our environment. The Green IT is the way to find and reduce the negative of IT on the environment. So first see Your computer it is contains one kilogram of lead and veritable cocktails of chemicals including antimony, arsenic, boron, phosphor, nitric acid, hydrofluoric acid, and hydrogen fluoride to name a few.
A typical desktop computer uses 868 kW of electricity per year. And practically every
Company in the developed world has a computer of some sort. Many organizations have
Thousands of computers. Do you know what happened when these are finished, you sold them and they are burnt and they produce a large amount of Air Pollution, some calculation are given below.
For example a major bank in Australia has 20,000 computers.
If we calculate the carbon emissions from 20,000 computers using 868 kW of electricity each
Year, it equals 12,467 metric tons of CO2. This much CO2 is equivalent to the:
– Annual greenhouse gas emissions from 2,384 passenger vehicles.
– CO2 emissions from 28,994 barrels of oil consumed.
– CO2 emissions from the electricity use of 1,619 homes for one year.
– Carbon sequestered by 2,658 acres of pine or fir forests.
As above figure so we can say that we are participating to increase global warming and having a good percentage as compare to other industries. If we all are think and do as Green IT says then the figurecan be down and the ratio of global warming can be effect.
Energy efficiency is little harder to visualize. Essentially though energy efficiency Is all about making computer and related technology both reduce the amount of electricity they use and utilize electricity more effectively.
It is very important because the production of energy through the coal fired plants generates green house gas emissions, most of which is CO2 and green house gas emissions are believed to be a major cause of global warming, through the green house gases global warming enhance make the major changes on the environment.
Using Technology to Help Solve Environmental Issues
Apart of technology causing some environmental issues. It is also have best tools that are available to human race to help us to understand how we can fix environmental issue.
If we go through the procedure then we can save energy and also reduce the amount of pollution and definitely we can see the changes in the environment. Today’s technology is in every fields then how can be possible that technology is not reducing the pollution and this is the way to reduce the pollution.
By turning off your desktop at night for one whole year, you could save enough energy to
- run your clock radio for more than 1,300 weeks
- to make yourself more than 9,200 bags of microwave popcorn
- to wash over 460 loads of clothing
- to use your blow dryer for over 5,500 hours
- to vacuum your house for more than 460 hours
- to produce over 3,400 plastic bags
- to run your microwave continuously for a week
- to boil your kettle for all day for 268 days straight
For the company and individuals, there are some easy actions that they can to reduce their energy
- Turning off computer, games console and TV when they are not in use.
- Setting up your computer after 15 minute of inactivity.
- Buy and use a laptop instead of a desktop computer. Laptops only use 190kW (average) of electricity per year.